Monday, April 28, 2014

The purpose of LIFE

Life is so short. Seriously. One of my good friends from high school passed away in his sleep last week. Today my sister-in-law's sister died in a tragic car crash. It seems like everywhere I turn there are tragedies and heartbreak. A baby in my ward was born 8 weeks early, with a cancerous tumor in his stomach. He is two months old and starting chemotherapy.

Amidst all of this sad news and heartbreaking stories and things that life throws at us... one thing is constant and unchanging and ESSENTIAL to surviving the obstacles that we are given. That is the Atonement of Jesus Christ. My sister in law (the same one who just lost her sister today) lost her first newborn son 5 days after he was born. It breaks my heart to think of how much she's been through, yet how strong she is. I wrote a song for him (and them) when he passed, and I just wanted to post the words here. 

"Choose To Be Strong"

Little baby you’ve come as a blessing and joy
To the most prepared parents of a little boy
You’ve united a family in prayer and song
And we pray for you now

Choose to be strong, choose to hold on
Choose to fight for a life even when your strength’s gone

As a father be strong for your little son,
As a child be strong ‘till your time has come.
As a mother remember that you’re not alone
There is One who’s prepared his safe journey back Home.

Choose to be strong, choose to hold on
Choose to trust in the Lord even when your hope’s gone.

Sweet little boy when you get to the other side,
Be strong for your parents as they’re tossed and they’re tried.
Be strong help them know that you’re in safe hands
And you’re waiting for them ‘cause that’s part of God’s plan

Be strong
And our Savior will carry us along.
Hold on to his hand, you’re not alone
And wait for us there in that Heavenly home.



I know that the purpose of life is to come here, be tried, tested, suffer incredible heartbreak and ache and in our darkest moments is when we need to RELY on our Savior Jesus Christ. His atonement was for us, so that we can feel PEACE, JOY, COMFORT and HOPE that we will see our loved ones again. I KNOW we will. Life is forever, it doesn't just end with death. 

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. Not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27